Tuesday, July 10, 2012

BKS Iyengar / The Wealth of Health versus Appearances




There is something so awe inspiring about watching this 45 year old film footage of BKS Iyengar demonstrating asana. Who was the audience? Did they have any understanding or was this a form of outlandish gymnastics to them? After all these years of practicing yoga even I still find it strange to watch a yoga asana practice. It definitely is an experience to be had within, rather than observed externally.
In my parallel life I am a professional Artist, from this perspective I really should promote my work, chase the career, socialize strategically.. The more I practice Yoga Asana, the more my life changes, and it becomes increasingly impossible to abuse my body with 16 hour work days for the sake of appearing ‘successful’. In reality my name gains credential, it does indeed, and at the same time my body gains internal wounds from exhaustion, from one too many times rushed to meet a deadline..
In the past year I have spent significantly more time thinking about the Wealth of Health than about which gallery to attempt to impress into exhibiting and selling my work. I am still finding my way, but while it scares me I also feel that it was the only sensible decision to take a full 18 months out from even considering to make any Art work or engage in the Art crowd. My feet feel like they landed on the ground a little. My health is improving, and still I am fragile. The healthiest years in my life were those when I practiced yoga 3-4 times a week without fail. 6 days a week seems to deplete me.
I believe it is possible that this has to do with my approach to the practice and my approach to the days following. I strongly believe that Ashtanga practice can be restorative, in my experience it was depleting, but I have a feeling that was my way of practicing and living that could have been responsible.
What do you think?

No comments: